Therapy for individuals, couples and families
What makes therapists at Shurmatz Counseling a good fit for you or someone you love? In a nutshell, training, time and compassion! The collective years of experience of our clinical team hovers near 100, and in that time, we each have selected areas to become the best possible therapists we can be. From couples counseling to depression to trauma, our staff have put in the time and the energy. We all recognize the courage that it takes to take this step, and we strive to make this process as comfortable and helpful as possible. We provide various therapy options for individuals, couples and families in the Buffalo, NY area.
I believe every person is doing the best they can with what they have. Therapy is a place to move away from shame, feel validated and heard, learn new tools for regulation and communication, build resilience and esteem, and challenge unhealthy patterns.
Operating from a strengths-based approach, individual sessions infuse EMDR Therapy with mindfulness, DBT, ACT, addictions counseling and talk therapy. In-person and/or telepsych sessions are available.
- Specializing in supporting pre-adolescents, adolescents, and young adults build confidence and esteem by:
- Letting go of shame
- Building resilience
- Stress management and regulation
- Understand healthy relationships
- Peer, dating and sexual relationships,
- Identifying personal boundaries, how to set and hold healthy boundaries
- Self-exploration and identity
- Heal from stressful and traumatic experiences
- Physical, sexual, and emotional abuse
- Slut shaming
- Operating from a Family Systems approach, you cannot treat an individual without addressing the whole family unit.
- Family therapy empowers the parents to become the “experts” at how to support their child(ren).
- Specializing in supporting parents:
- Understand normal child development
- Heal from parenting shame and trauma
- Co-regulation and communication strategies
- How to set healthy boundaries and expectations
- Develop and maintain self-care strategies
- Supporting families through:
- Divorce and Blended Families
- Loss and Grief
- Sibling rivalries
- Individual Coaching
- Offering adults individual coaching via phone and/or video conferencing
- Supporting through transitions, relationships, careers, etc.